We have alumni book clubs in Calgary and in Edmonton – held on the same night, using the same books, joined together by online meeting software. Huge thanks to hosts Lisa (Calgary) and Laura (Edmonton) for initiating and organizing these events.
Books clubs are open to all alumni of Leadership Calgary, Leadership Edmonton, Introduction to Human Venture Leadership, and Integrity Leadership, and their guests. 30 minutes of the discussion will be dedicated to talking about any promising resources people have found during the month.
2019-2020 Book Club Locations
- Calgary: Online via Zoom
- Edmonton: Program Room in Strathcona Branch of the Public Library 8331, 104 Street
2019-2020 Book Selections
- September 16 @ 7 PM: “The Human Contribution: Unsafe Acts, Accidents, and Heroic Recoveries” by James Reason
- October 21 @ 7 PM: “Breaking News, The Remaking of Journalism and Why it Matters Now” by Alan Rusbridger – This book is to align with the escalation of media attention leading up to the Canadian Federal Election on October 21. We should look for clues of degradation or resilience of journalism following the 2016 US federal elections.
- November 18 @ 7 PM: “Upheaval” by Jared Diamond (Read the prologue, Chapter 1, Conclusion, and at least 2 other chapters of your choice, but please speak to why you chose the chapters that you did)
- December 16 @ 7 PM: “Structures of Indifference: An Indigenous Life and Death in a Canadian City” by Mary Jane Logan McCallum & Adele Perry
- January 21 @ 7 PM: “Bullshit Jobs” by David Graeber – An intriguing read during a time of the year when our culture recommends we seek out New Years Resolutions to improve ourselves!
- February 10 @ 7 PM: “The Half-life of Facts” by Samuel Arbesman
- March 16 @ 7 PM: “Don’t Even Talk About It: Why our Brains Are Wired To Ignore Climate Change” by George Marshall – A nice spring-time read as we approach the spring equinox.
- April 20 @ 7 PM: “The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir” – Samantha Power (Part 1, Chapters 1-18)
- May 11 @ 7 PM: “The Education of an Idealist: A Memoir” – Samantha Power (Part 2, Chapters 19-40)
- June 15 @ 7 PM: “The Lies that Bind: Rethinking Identity” – Kwame Anthony Appiah
- July 20 @ 7 PM: “A Warning” – Anonymous
- August: No book club, but don’t stop reading!